“Life Hacks” for Braces – Part 1
1. Prepare a kit that includes: toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and wax to carry with you at all times. Follow the link to Ortho360 for 10 tips for brushing with braces.
2. A Waterpik can be a great help, dislodging particles where you can’t reach. Amazon sells a Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser that has 4.5 stars with over 5,000 reviews! Check it out.
3. Eat with caution! Avoid foods that get stuck between your braces. Raw veggies, corn on the cob, popcorn, whole apples, gum and chewy candy.
One of the most common questions we hear at the office is “What can I eat with braces on?”
This is a good question to ask. Certain foods can be hard on your braces.
Steam Cook Your Veggies- Carrots, broccoli and cauliflower are all healthy snacks with a crunch. That crunch can be tough on your braces, so try giving them a little steam bath to soften up before eating them. Frying, and boiling will also soften them.
The Slow Cooker is Your Friend– When it comes to softening foods, there might be no better way to prepare a meal than by using a slow cooker. Choose your ingredients in the morning, place it on the required setting, and let it stew for the day. Typical stew meat can be quite tough and stringy, so try using the slow cooker with other foods like boneless chicken breast, or softer cuts of beef.
No Pain Grains- Grains are a big part of a balanced diet, but early morning toast will be a bit more uncomfortable to crunch on than it was before. It’s time to explore the alternatives. If you’re craving some baked goods to start your morning, there’s nothing wrong with a warm croissant or a fresh muffin.
Try Something Different- A fresh fruit smoothie is also a great source of natural fiber. Use banana as a base, and add in a mix of fresh berries. Scoop in some yogurt, and a spoonful of honey, and you’ve almost got a dessert!
4. Wax is your best friend! Wax works best when the area you are applying it to is dry, try using a napkin/paper towel to dry area off for a more secure placement.
5. Remember how beautiful your teeth and smile will look when you’re all done!