Invisalign Facts Part 1
[Full disclosure: I have received complimentary treatment from Invisalign. All opinions are my own; this blog post is not directly affiliated with Invisalign.]
Before I had my teeth straightened with Invisalign, I never used to pay that much attention to other people’s teeth. But now that mine are straight, I find myself staring at bad teeth in line at stores, on the subway, and in restaurants. I actually have to stop myself from going up to perfect strangers and saying “You know, you could get your teeth straightened so easily! Can I tell you about Invisalign?”
There are so many reasons to get Invisalign, and it’s never too late. I started my treatment when I was over forty!
Here are my top seven reasons for looking into Invisalign:
- You can eat whatever you want while in treatment. Seriously. Apples, popcorn, corn on the cob, even taffy! There are no restrictions to what you can eat while you’re getting Invisalign treatment, because you take the aligner trays out whenever you want to eat.
- You can drink with your aligners in. As long as the liquid isn’t hot enough to melt your aligners, you don’t have to remove them when you’re thirsty! (They could possibly stain a little, but you’re only wearing each tray for two weeks anyway.)
- You can brush and floss your teeth like you normally would. You can take your Invisalign out whenever you need to clean your teeth. Easy peasy.
- You could inadvertently kick that snacking habit. Invisalign is NOT a weight-loss device. But you may find, as I did, that wearing your aligners kept you from taking bites of this and that all day. Not a prescribed use of Invisalign, but a possible indirect benefit.
- Hardly anybody has to know that you’re straightening your teeth. In over a year of wearing my Invisalign aligners, only two people have ever spontaneously noticed that I was wearing them. One was my daughter, and one was a friend – while we were in the middle of a conversation about teeth! The aligners are clear and fit tightly to your teeth, making them almost invisible.
- For a really important event, you can leave your aligners home, like Anna Kendrick did when she went to the Oscars this year. Ideally you should wear your aligners for twenty-two hours each day, but for the Academy Awards, or a wedding, or some other huge event, you can take them out and not worry about them.
- They may be covered just like braces. Many insurance plans cover Invisalign just like they would braces. And you can use your Health Savings Account funds to pay for them as well. Some providers even offer payment plans.